Tuesday

Tacoma Washington Golf Course Review | Chambers Bay Golf Course

Over the weekend I had the pleasure of playing one of the most unique courses I've ever played - Chambers Bay Golf Course in Tacoma, Washington. It is the site of the 2010 U.S. Amateur Golf Championshipand the 2015 U.S. Open, and man is it going to be a test for those players. And the best thing is, anyone can play there because it is a public golf course! Without further adieu, please enjoy my Chambers Bay Golf Course Review.

As I just said, Chambers Bay Golf Course is located in the Tacoma, Washington area, though it looks like no other course I've seen before (I haven't played in Europe, I would imagine this is what a lot of the course look like). I've played Bellevue Golf Course, West Seattle Golf Course, and Jackson Park Golf Course, and this is nothing like them. The good news for you is that I took a bunch of pictures so you will have plenty to look at.

But, as I also said, the course is public. So, as I start all my golf course reviews, I'll start with the clubhouse, which was not necessarily all that impressive. The clubhouse itself sits at the top of a large hill (Chambers Bay was built in an old gravel pit) about 200 feet above the actual course. After you pay a shuttle takes you down to the course where you get started. The clubhouse attendant was very nice, and their entire staff was extremely professional. One other thing, they provide the option of having a caddy walk the course with you (no carts, no exceptions). If you have the extra cash, I'd highly recommend it. We didn't use a caddy, but a fourth in our group did, and I must say it was quite an enjoyable experience (I've actually never had a caddy before). But back to the clubhouse, you won't necessarily be impressed.

Chamber's Bay Golf Course Practice Facilities

When you get down to the actual golf course, you will see a putting green and a driving range. I'd recommend using a little bit of both. The driving range is necessary because the course, unless you've played in Europe, has the tightest lies I've ever seen, and it takes a little getting used to. Divots don't really happen - you may take up a little grass, but it's never more than an inch deep. Hit some balls on the range so you can get a feel for the playing surface (the range was a little beat up, but it was grass, so I can't complain too much).



The Chambers Bay putting green you need just so you can get a feel for the greens. The day we played the greens were running quite slow. Not unheard of in the Northwest in November, but a little disconcerting nonetheless. With that being said, however, you will see even on the putting greens that what you see is what you get. A true run is what you get, so expect to drop some long putts.

Chambers Bay Golf Course Review

Now for the actual course. As you can see from the pictures, from start to finish the views are just spectacular, and like nothing else you'll see around. As for course conditions, the tee boxes were all full and lush, the fairways ran fast, and the greens were hard (even though they ran relatively slow). You can see from the pictures that there were several pretty challenging holes. Some were tight, some were not, but it seemed like trouble was brewing everywhere. As with any old style course, pot bunkers and gunch abounded. I actually didn't partake in much of either, although I was often approaching the green from some relatively long distances.






And Chambers Bay Golf Course in Tacoma Washington is pretty long (it must be if it is going to host a US Amateur and US Open Championship. There were several times I was approaching the green from over 200 yards (but in my defense, or maybe not, I was not having my best day off the tee box). We played from the sand colored tees (second from the back) and I think the scorecard has that at well over 6600 yards. It was a real test.



In the end I ended up shooting in the mid 80s (I don't remember the exact score, though I do remember that I lost about $40 on the round). Which reminds me, the cost was $95. A little steep, but well worth it in all honesty. I think the caddy is an extra $75 to $100, but if you are making a golf vacation out of it, you might was well splurge. The information they have is invaluable, particularly around the greens (the greens have huge slopes on them - getting on the wrong tier or wrong side of the hole can often have dire circumstances).

In the end, I'd highly recommend playing Chambers Bay Golf Course if you are ever in the Seattle, Washington area. It was a great course, the service was great, and I will be playing there again soon.

No comments: