Wednesday

Kansas Golf Vacation | Rolling Meadows Golf Course

If you ever find yourself in Kansas for any reason, and think you can't turn it into a mini golf vacation, you are mistaken. There is great golf to be played in Kansas, no matter where you are in the state (and there is a lot of room out there for you to "be). As I've already pointed out earlier, in the Kansas City area, there are great public and private courses, including Tomahawk Hills Golf Course and Wolf Creek Golf Course (the only course I've played and one of the few remaining in the country that is truly a men only golf course); in Topeka there is Lake Shawnee Golf Course, and a little further west, right along I-70, is Rolling Meadows golf course located in Junction City, Kansas and Indian Hills Golf Course in Chapman, Kansas.

And, this course review is even a little sweeter. It is actually my home course. At Rolling Meadows in Junction City I took my first golf lesson, hit my first golf ball, and learned how to play the game. It didn't happen until the summer of my freshman year in college. My mom got into golf and bought my step-dad some golf lessons. Because I was back for the summer she asked if I wanted to go to. I didn't have anything else to do, so I tagged along. As all of you golfer's know, it only takes one good hit of a golf ball to get hooked, and that is what happened to me. Now on to the course.

One of the great things about this golf course, and one of the nice things about a mini-golf vacation in Kansas, is that golf here is dirt cheap. I think in the summer time (the rates are the same all year round) it costs around $38 for 18 holes and a cart. And after twilight (which at this course gives you plenty of time to play 18, and it's an all you can play twilight, so if you get done early you can start around again) the rate is closer to $20 with a cart. You really can't beat that deal.

Now, on to a little bit about the course. Rolling Meadows is a public course, owned by the city of Junction City, so the clubhouse isn't going to knock your socks off. It has two levels, the upper level reserved for tournament gatherings and things of that nature. The lower level houses the pro shop, concession area, and restrooms (so go down the stairs and around the corner to check in when you get there). There is an adequate stock of beer, soda, and hot dogs, so you should be able to remain hydrated and full, but other than that, there isn't much to offer. I am not even sure if they have a set of rental clubs (but let's be honest, if you are a golfer you are bringing your clubs around with you anyway - I know I do...).

When you finally get to the course, you will see that each nine starts with a par five. And, as a little historical aside, the front nine used to be the back nine. It plays great either way, but it is interesting to note when you are out there playing. Back to the course. There are several water holes on the course, and along the outskirts is out of bounds and hazard that can get you into trouble if you aren't ready. From the tips it can play pretty long, so if you want a challenge, back it up and see if you've got game.

The condition of the course is usually decent. Rolling meadows recently changed out its fairways to introduce zoysia grass, which is much more resilient in the Kansas heat and humidity than Bermuda, or any other grass for that matter. When out there on the course you should be at least satisfied with the course of the fairways. Once you get on the greens, be prepared for a slightly slower than normal roll. I love fast greens and much admit I'm disappointed at the speed of these. But, it is a public golf course, and a dirt cheap public golf course, so you kind of have to take what you can get.

Overall, I'd say this course is about a 7 out of 10. It is a great value, is usually in good shape, and is really a joy to play (number 14, an elevated par 3, is one of my favorites, as is number 10, a reachable par 5). You will be challenged on some holes and have some risk reward on others.

Just remember, the next time you are out looking to have a golf vacation in Kansas, don't forget to take a look at Rolling Meadows Golf Course. You won't be disappointed.

No comments: